Friday, December 23, 2011

Distracted from Festivus

The festivus tradition of airing out grievances was held in silent fashion tonite.  I failed to install the proper ritual to my inward ranting, but I think the process of my life allows room for improvisation.  Most of my complaints are self-directed as I compare my creative endeavours to others', my minimalistic lifestyle to opulence, or my whimsical daydream notion of success to actual motivation.  To say I follow verb tense practically is partially correct and I easily overlook such discrepancies by listening to music instead.  Tonite's choice?  Hacia Dos Veranos from Argentina:

 Ignacio Aguiló: guitar
Diego Martínez: bass
           Julia Bayse: flute, keyboards
    Andrés Edelstein: drums


I first heard about Hacia Dos Veranos from a friend in Second Life.  Inworld he's known as Pupito Helstein, guitarist for the band Engrama or [Engrama].  Accompanying him, lakua Aruaga on drums.  They play live sets in Second Life and occassionally stream live video feeds of their performances.  Currently they maintain a sim (short for simulator [sim processes]) called The Ionic Spell, a dazzlingly postmodern environment with modest retro houses, period furniture a la 1969, and other subtle details that lend it darkly nostalgic resonance.  You'll find an art gallery where current artists' works are displayed, record players with stacks of virtual vinyl, and other simulacra tucked into nooks and crannies.  When there is no live music, the sim streams electro postrock from somafm which is a nice addition to the mood while exploring.  Pupito was the drummer for Hacia Dos Veranos, but he and lakua currently reside in Vitoria, Álava, Spain.

Part of my culinary experience took place in an interesting spot in Asheville called Zambra.  The cuisine was a fusion of north African and Spanish, with creative license applied as well.  One of my favorite dishes was the pan seared scallops which were served with a sauce composed of a spice mix called Ras El Hanout and coconut milk.  Though not technically traditional, the dish stood up to the bold wine list.  I learned about tapas through my experience at Zambra and later applied a similar approach when I ran the kitchen at a spot called Bamboo Room which was an extension of the now defunct Akumi.  Akumi was on Wall Street, and I always loved that area during fall when the Ginkgo biloba trees glowed brilliant yellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment